The most common inedible mushrooms


Almost all mushroom pickers know that there are edible and inedible, as well as poisonous mushrooms that can cause human poisoning. Inedible species of mushrooms are low-toxic mushrooms, which for certain reasons are not used for food purposes. The list of such species is quite extensive.

Features of Inedible Mushrooms

The description and name of many inedible species is known to most experienced quiet hunters, but for beginning mushroom pickers it is very difficult to determine the degree of inedibility of the fungusand distinguish between inedible species and edible species.

In our country, it is customary to classify mushrooms as inedible. whose fruiting bodies cannot be eaten for various indicators, but not in connection with their toxicity:

  • Truly inedible are varieties that have an unpleasant odor or a bitter, burning and repulsive taste that cannot be eliminated during the heat treatment;
  • some types of fungi are inedible at certain stages of development;
  • fruit bodies with a cork, leathery or woody consistency are not used for food purposes.

Potentially edible species that grow on unattractive substrates, including manure or excrement, are generally classified as inedible mushrooms. Also, fruiting bodies of many fungi from the mycene, negunichnaceous, crepidote, ordinary, stroparius, nesting, heterobasidial and marsupial family are not used for the preparation of mushroom dishes, which is due to their too small size and mediocre taste.

Common inedible mushroom species

It should be noted that inedible varieties are not able to pose a pronounced threat to human health and life, but can spoil the taste of mushroom dishes, therefore It is important to distinguish which species belong to this category. To distinguish such mushrooms inexperienced mushroom pickers will allow a special table.

View nameLatinDistribution areaReason for inedibility
Inedible boletusBoletus calopusConiferous, oak and broad-leaved forests with acidic sandy soils, under oaks in the territory of squares and parksThe taste of pulp is too bitter
Golden yellowLactarius chrysorrheusGrows singly or in small groups in deciduous forest zonesVery sharp and unpleasant pepper taste
Gall mushroomTylopilus felleusMore often, fruiting bodies grow singly or in small groups on acidic and fertile soils of coniferous forests.The bitterness of the flesh is enhanced during the heat treatment
Common raincoatScleroderma citrinumOn soil or rotting wood in forests, young plantings, on meadows and fields, on roadsides and forest edgesThe fruit body is dense and leathery, dotted with brownish scales or embossed warts
Acute MilkyLactarius acerrimusIn deciduous forest areas under oaksVery sharp and unpleasant pepper taste
Coprinus homeCoprinellus domesticusIt grows in groups on dead wood and stumps of deciduous trees.Unpleasant appearance and taste of pulp
The cobweb is deceivingCortinarius decipiensGrows in coniferous and deciduous forest zonesDoes not matter nutritionally
Pepper butterdishChalciporus piperatusMost often found in coniferous forests, where it forms mycorrhiza with pineIt has a very spicy and peppery taste.
Tinder fungusPhellinus igniariusFocal lesion of living and dead wood, stumps and dead woodThe tissue of the fruit body is very hard, woody type
The russula is pungentRussula emeticaForms mycorrhiza with trees in coniferous and deciduous forestsInedible due to bitter flesh
Scanty trickPluteus exiguusDead wood of deciduous treesDoes not matter nutritionally
Bowler talkerClitocybe diatretaBadlands and sandy soils in pine and birch forestsMay contain muscarine or muscarine-like components.

The differences between inedible doubles

The absolute external similarity of inedible double mushrooms with edible species is obvious only at first glance. A closer examination of the fruiting bodies allows us to recognize a number of differences with which such species differ:

  • gall mushroom or false white, has a pronounced external similarity to boletus, but unlike its "noble" brother has a pink tubular layer and a reddening hat;
  • false boletus in contrast to the present, as it grows and develops, it acquires a pronounced pinkish tint of the tubular layer, and the lower part of the leg usually has a rather impressive thickening;
  • false butterdish it is quite rare in our forests and has a characteristic, very pronounced thickening in the lower part of the stem, which is immersed in soil or coniferous litter;
  • false chanterelles have a round funnel-shaped hat with smooth edges and a characteristic reddish-orange, with a copper tint coloring;

  • category false mushrooms includes representatives of several species that grow on wood, and the most famous false foam sulfur-yellow and false foam brick red have a pronounced color, reflected in the name;
  • death cap very reminiscent of champignon and some types of russula, so you should pay attention to the pale green color of the hat and the presence of a ring on the leg of a poisonous double.

Most inedible species have a very noticeable ovoid thickening in the root of the leg. Among other things, there are several very common misconceptions regarding the definition of edibility of mushrooms.

It must be remembered that many inedible species have a very pleasant mushroom aroma, and the fruiting body can be gnawed by snails and slugs. It is also important to note that poisoning can cause not only inedible and potentially dangerous varieties of mushrooms, but also completely edible species, the fruiting bodies of which have grown or are damaged by worms and other insect larvae.

How to distinguish edible from false mushrooms

Signs of Poisoning

Despite the fact that most inedible species do not cause poisoning, in some cases a reaction similar to poisoning may occur, which is due to the individual characteristics of the body. The main symptoms of mushroom poisoning are as follows:

  • poisoning with improperly prepared early spring mushrooms, such as stitches and morels, occurs after about six hours and is accompanied by pain in the stomach, nausea, indomitable vomiting, severe headache and general weakening of the body. It is precisely because of possible poisoning that the fruiting bodies of the lines and morels must be boiled twice beforehand for ten to fifteen minutes;
  • mushrooms from the pale toadstool group contain poisons such as phalloidin and amanitin, which are not destroyed during the heat treatment. The result of poisoning can be severe abdominal pain, frequent diarrhea and indomitable vomiting, the appearance of severe thirst and convulsive state;

  • the fruiting bodies of fungi belonging to the genus Inocib and Clitocybe contain poisons represented by muscarine, mycoatropin and fly poison, which cause nausea, frequent vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, excessive sweating, increased salivation and severe lacrimation;
  • false honey mushrooms, as well as burning milkers and russules, most often cause a relatively strong intestinal disorder, accompanied by mild symptoms of intoxication.

Also poisoning is caused by old or not immediately processed fruiting bodies of edible mushrooms.

First aid

Any poisoning is especially dangerous for children, the elderly, pregnant or lactating women, as well as those suffering from allergic reactions. In this case, the victim must be taken to a medical facility as soon as possible. First aid measures include:

  • rinse the stomach with water at room temperature with the addition of soda or several crystals of potassium permanganate;
  • take a few tablets of activated carbon at the rate of 1 tablet per 10 kg of weight;
  • use drugs that reduce the risk of dehydration in case of indomitable vomiting and repeated diarrhea.

Pale Grebe: Characteristic

It is necessary to make it a rule to collect only well-known mushrooms, the edibility of which is certain, which will reduce the risk of poisoning to minimum values.



Previous Article

Why does celery not grow

Next Article

What to do if a cobweb appears on the seeds of corn in a snail